Saturday, March 28, 2009

2009-03-28 Sat AM BJJ Class

Cassio Werneck BJJ - Sacramento CA - Cassio Werneck

Interesting class today. The format normally is Cassio teaches a two or three related techniques and we drill them. The techniques are usually very distinct, like an arm bar from closed guard, step one, step two, step three, etc. Today was slightly different.

Cassio discussed standing in closed guard. Rather than show a few multi step techniques he broke down the situation itself. That maintaining your posture is key. that it canot be enough to counter what your opponent is doing, but rather use every grip break, every defensive move as an opportunity to improve your position BEYOND being in someones closed guard.

Your opponent gets a deep collar grip, you maintain your posture, put both hands on their wrist push down hard and clear the grip. Then use it as an opportunity to improve your position.

Your opponent gets the grip and initiates the cross collar choke. reach over their arms and grab their lapels. Using which ever arm they have on top you stand up and drive your fist and their collar across their throat walking to that same side. You won't likely get a tap here, but you will likely get them to pop open. Just make sure you get your arm out.

Finally an interesting answer to getting your amr caught across your body. You punch in hard with your knee on the same side as your trapped arm. this freezes their hips. Now pull your arm out.




Rolled:
rolled three 5 or 6? min rounds
Jaime, rest, Brian, Michael, rest

Jaime was really defending hte pass well, I kept getting close but just as I was about to get around he pushed me off and replaced. Not cool :D. Eventually I ended up in his closed guard and, as usual, he pulled his very effective olaplata. I managed to get out but ended up getting caught by an a reverse bar to arm bar. It was nice.

Brian was all over me as well. I left my arm a dangling and he went for a very well done arm bar from side control.

Michael is a younger kid he was really getting after me. He kept leaving his elbows out so I kept reminding him not too. I know I talk more than most while rolling with the lower belts, I just really remember feeling lost back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment