Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2009-02-18 Wed PM BJJ Class

Cassio Werneck BJJ - Sacramento CA - Cassio Werneck

Late to class tonight, damn day job! Came in at the end of warm ups. I always feel kinda vulnerable when I start drilling or rolling without warm ups. Like I'm one stuped move from injury.

We're working some kimura attacks tonight, from the top while in half guard specifically. This counterpoints very nicely to some of the deep half guard sweeps we learned in the last few weeks.

The firt technique was from half guard facing the legs, your opponent has an underhook on your arm closest to the legs. This is a pretty standard technique, slide the hand up the arm. secure the kimura. The part that was different from me was the response to the inevitable death grip your partner gets on their belt. You post off your elbow/forearm and head, sliding your body out a bit. this should make room for our leg to get over their head. once hear reposition them into a vertical position. then apply the standard 'sitting on their head' kimura.

The second was a little more acrobatic. We started from a knee across pass position but rather than driving the knee through you change directions. Grabbing the kimura as you roll over your shoulder. If your driving your right knee through you would attack their exposed left arm and then dive over their arm and across your left shoulder. if they sit up you just us it to pivot yourself around for the armbar. was easier than it looked.

Rolled:
rolled four 8 min rounds
DJ, rest, Toby, rest, Dan(?,wb), Adrian

My rolls with DJ and a white belt named Dan(I think that's his name, I really need to work on the name thing). Good rolls, Dan moved around and attacked a lot. He suprised me with an omaplata. If I didn't have 40+ lbs on him I might have been in some real trouble. I've been trying to give people more pointers while we roll. Especially the white belts. I hope it doesn't come across poorly. I really don't wanna be that guy that talks all the time or seems to think he knows it all. I feel like nothing could be farther from the truth. I do remember a lot of the things I wish I knew when I was a white belt so I try to get some of those things across.

My rolls with Toby and Adrian were both pretty frustrating. Not that I expect a bunch of success against either of them. It's just that I seem to fall into the same patterns. I try some seated or foot on hip open guard, trying to pull closed guard. I get passed pretty easily. I then get handled on the way to getting submitted. I made Toby change attacks a few times but could never get back to a real guard replace. And I couldn't get an inch of space on Adrian.

Maybe it's time to forgo to closed guard focus and spend more time NOT getting passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment