Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2009-02-04 Wed PM BJJ Class

Cassio Werneck BJJ - Sacramento CA - Cassio

Cassio and Hilza are back from their month long vacation on the beaches of Brazil (just a little jealous). It's good to have them back. It's interesting how the vibe of the place is different depending on who is there, especially on who is instructing. Don't get me wrong I have not had a problem with any of the classes or the instructors. I just find it fascinating.

The techniques tonight were I could have used last week, I love it when I see a technique a week or two late. It was two sweeps from half guard where your opponent is facing your feet and you have both arms out.

You have your opponent's right leg locked in half guard. He has his left hip on the ground and he is facing your feet. You have both your arms free (not pinned beneath your opponent, no underhook, etc). Now the sweep. you pull out their right lapel, choking up on it tight. You should have the lapel in your fist and your pinky and for arm against their back, your going to need this barrier to keep space between you and them. Now with that tight grip in your left arm, post up on your right elbow, slide your hips out some to allow you to pull out your right leg and swing it around their back, and finally slip your left hook into place. Sounds way more complicated than it is. Maybe I'll get a video up sometime.

The second technique was the same as the last, with one main dfference. Rather than starting with half guard on your opponents right leg, now you have his left leg trapped and hes sitting on his left hip, facing your feet.the rest is the same, the grip, lifting up your hips, and slide around for the back.

Rolled:
rolled three 8 min(?) rounds
John, rest, Al, rest, Jack

Rolling with John (purple belt) was quite different today. We've kinda come up together, but he's always been a bit better. He normally catches me a few times and maintains control most of the match. It was almost the opposite tonight. I felt pretty offensive all the time. I know he's competing this weekend, I wonder if he's cutting weight right now.

Al is a brown belt and has that rolling style where he kills you and never seems to even be trying. I was able to move around more than I have in the past against him. Tried a new approach to working my open guard in over his knee when he was one knee up. as long as he kept his elbow pinned to his knee he kept me out. it was an interesting back and forth for a bit, and on the positive side he wasn't trying to pass me while I was trying to work my leg in. He passed and mounted me a few time, caught me as well, so some things havn't changed.

Finally Jack. Jack is a HUGE brown belt. Like 6' 6"ish. But not fat guy big, just big. I tell myself every time that I won't pull guard and I end up pulling guard, I getcaught in half and he smashes me as he passes. it was so hard this time I thought my spine was gonna have an issue. Later on I did manage to pull guard, and I just could not break his posture. He'd stand up and I'd work open guard for a while and he'd end up passing again. Rolling with guys that size can be a real pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment