Sunday, February 8, 2009

2009-02-07 Sat AM BJJ and Judo Grand Opening clinic

Capital City BJJ - Sacramento CA - Marcos

Something a little different today. Marcos Torregrosa held his (hopefully) annual Jiu-Jitsu and Judo clinic for the grand opening of his new school. It was a very good event overall. Lot's of sharing and a very good vibe.

First the facilities, The place is tucked back in a small industrial park. The training area is quite big, holding both a large zebra mat and another separate wresting mat. Even with all that mat space there was not enough space for all the attendees. There were a few lines of chairs, and even a few couches for the spectators to hang out and watch. All very comfortable. My only real issue with the facility was that it was pretty chilly in the big room, but once we all got moving things warmed up a bit.

Seeing as the school holds both BJJ and Judo classes it made sense that the days events were split up into three parts, a BJJ class, a Judo class, and a pot luck. Marcos taught the BJJ lessons, Brent Goodall (primarily) and some other excellent black belts from Team Sacramento Judo taught the Judo lessons, and a whole bunch of people brought some great eats.

As there were both BJJ players and Judoka present it only made sense that the techniques covered would be applicable for both practitioners. It was explained to us that people will often lay face down and cover up once a throw has occured in Judo. So Marcos covered a few back attacks. The first involved getting the hook in on the near side and then rolling to the back, freezing your opponents hip with your hook and getting the choke from the back. The second was a continuation of the first if the opponent closes the hole for the hook they open the clock grip on the collar. Once you've gotten the grip you next move as if your putting your opposite hook in but 'T' off rather than stay parallel and roll through and at the same time grab their near leg, completing the 'T' positioning. You should have a very strong choke here. the third was again another variation of the 2nd, rather than driving your hook inthe gap between the opponents arm and leg you drive it inbetween their far side shoulder and head. if they don't immediatly tab from the insta-choke you'll end up in a ifty side triangle sorta position, wth about 15 ways to finish on the arm. All good stuff.

I rolled three times after the technique. My first roll was with a white belt that was pretty new to bjj. He had a great attitude and I tried to share with him a bunch of the things I wish I had known in my first few months. My third roll was with a very athletic Judoka that was game enough to give something new a try, not always na easy thing to get out of your comfort zone. He had some amazing balance, even from his knees. I'd go for sweeps that he would feel coming and just float out of. Then there were other things that were completely new to him like posturing in guard. My second roll was with Marcos. I did have some success keeping him in my closed guard and mounting a few attacks from there. Any time I was starting to really threaten He'd jerk out hard and break my grips. Maybe a nicely timed sit up sweep would work there. Once he did pass it was pretty much business as usual, him passing my last minute half guard, some crushing side mount and then some submissions. Good times!

The Judo was great. Again given our audience they taught techniques that were bjj applicable. My favorite was the Sumi-Gaeshi. The setup was very wrestling like, reminded me of a russian arm bar. The other thing I learned from the Judo session was that my Judo is terrible. I know it's been about 15 years since I did any Judo but I felt like a drunken hippo out there. Maybe once these bruises heal I'll try some more Judo again.

Finally the potluck. I'll just say the ceviche was off the charts.

Thanks to everyone that was there it was a great time meeting new people and I look forward to doing it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment